Polar Projections

General discussion and chat forum for the MCS. Discuss anything about the maps or chat with other members here.
johndarcy

Polar Projections

Post by johndarcy »

As a professional courtesy, I have created the following polar projections for the northern and southern hemispheres of Micras. Each map is shown with a 10x10 degree polar coordinate grid and the polar and tropical circles are also drawn in.

The issue of the true shape of lands in the mid and high latitudes has been a long-standing soap box of mine, and it has been mentioned in the context of continental drift elsewhere on this forum lately. So, here ya go.

Note that the lands within 30 degrees of the equator are more distorted here than on the rectangular map, so a combination of maps is best for the full story.

dr-spangle
MCS Technical Advisor

Post by dr-spangle »

wow new-empire has much less than i thought it would be... :D
St. Fenix
Secretary

Post by St. Fenix »

Good Work, Darcy.

the Problems with the poles will be a rather difficult one to correct, especially as we usually deal with Micras in its rectangular form. Unlike other wordly maps Micras does'nt have the natural distortion that a rectangular map brings with it creation and beacause of this, It will be difficult to replicate the effect in the Present Rectangular map. And may have to come about in the distortion of the current landmasses. However this may be undesirable since it will be difficult to tell the true size and shape of landmasses.

Indeed we are going to need a combination of maps to fully see all of this.

-St. Fenix
chrimigules

Post by chrimigules »

I always figured the ice caps were bigger...
Nathan of Natopia

Post by Nathan of Natopia »

Seems that way... but Antartica looks huge on all maps too
HSM Nathan, SBH, GCY, KGCO, KCE, KG, KS, GOLH, NM, SOB
Sovereign Natopian Emperor,
Duke of Ziegeland,
Lord Protector of Flaventia,
Duke of Dekinai City,
Earl of Lindstrom,
Marquis of Lukanburg
St. Fenix
Secretary

Post by St. Fenix »

I always figured the ice caps were bigger...
thanks to the distortion, they look far bigger then they should be, but I would also point out that the Distortion also takes place on the Pole maps as provided by Darcy. There is no way to rid ourselves of distortion as long as we use rectangular maps, especially when we try to compensate for it, a globe is the best way to go about this, however creating such a thing is next to impossible online, instead we will have to go by our rectangular maps and compensate as best as possible, and this is only of course if someone can provide the correct math, I myself don't know the specifics, only the problem.

-St. Fenix
eternalphoenix555

How did you do that?

Post by eternalphoenix555 »

How did you make the polar maps? Was that some sort of computer program?
johndarcy

Post by johndarcy »

Yes, I used Photoshop. Took a bit of fiddling to get it right.
Zatriarch Maximillideus
Special Cartographer

Post by Zatriarch Maximillideus »

Well, it's very good. And actually gives us an idea of how much land we have without some kind of pixel-counting program.
Thankyou muchly :P
The MCS's new special maps cartographer and religious leader
By the heavenly grace of God, our lord Jesus Christ, mother of God Meryem Ana Mary, the twelve apostles and the saints assembled in eternal glory, His All Holiness Zatriarch Mar Maximillideus Shedounah Idhwharioun I, 103rd Zatriarch of the Holy Orthodox See of the Zatriarchate of Matbaa, prelate of the Matbaic Orthodox Assyrian Jacobite Church of Micras and leader of the faithful of the true micronational faith.
Yes, I am a theocrat. How very perceptive. You got a problem with that? If not, visit the Zatriarchate of Matbaa at www.zatriarchate.uni.cc
dr-spangle
MCS Technical Advisor

Post by dr-spangle »

it makes me notice i have barely anything...
St. Fenix
Secretary

Post by St. Fenix »

It does indeed give us a good view of what we all have but I do warn all once again: distortion, Its going to take a good editor and someone with the correct knowledge of square map distortion to be able to get it right, but you must remember that the majority of the cap itself and the norther part of the continents on the north pole map, and the southern part of the continents on the South polar map, are all squeezed in a bit and the distortion is still disorted, so in reality as you get close to the pole, you have more land, but as you get farther away you have less.

its confusing and needs someone who is good with maps to deal with it, I only know the problem from my maps and comparing them.

-St. Fenix
dr-spangle
MCS Technical Advisor

Post by dr-spangle »

it doesn't nessesarily need someone good with maps, i'm researching C++ so we can make a very accurate and perpeft proportioned map, but don't hold your breath, this is very difficult...
Vehendi

Post by Vehendi »

Mr. Darcy, could the MCS use this map as official? If you want, we will add the credit.
eternalphoenix555

How?

Post by eternalphoenix555 »

You did that with photoshop? I don't have photoshop, but I have a similar program and I don't know how that could be done. Does photoshop have some special function for mapping? How did you do that?